Rice – 1 ½ cups
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Garlic - 7-8 cloves
Green chillies - 4-5
Tomatoes - 2 medium
Carrot - 4 medium
Onion – 2
Cauliflower - 1/4
French beans - 10-15
Green peas - 1/2 cup
Fresh coriander leaves - few sprigs
Fresh mint leaves - few sprigs
Saffron (kesar) - few strands
Kewra water - few drops
Green cardamoms - 2-3
Black cardamom - 1
Cloves - 2-3
Cinnamon - 1 inch stick
Bay leaf - 1
Oil - 2 tbsp
Caraway seeds (shahi jeera) - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Yogurt - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Butter - 3 tbsp
Water – as required
- Wash and soak rice in sufficient water for about twenty minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Peel, wash and chop one onion finely and slice the others. Peel and wash ginger and garlic. Remove stems and wash green chillies.
- Using a blender grind ginger, garlic and green chillies to fine paste.
- Take a bowl. Add ground paste, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, yogurt one by one and mix well.
- Wash and chop tomatoes finely. Peel, wash and cut carrot into half inch sized pieces. Separate cauliflower into small florets, wash and drain. String, wash and cut French beans into half inch sized pieces.
- Wash and drain green peas. Clean, wash and chop coriander leaves, mint leaves separately.
- Soak saffron in kewra water.
- Boil drained rice in four cups of salted boiling water with green cardamoms, black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf, until three-fourth done. Drain excess water and keep aside.
- Connect the power cord to ROBOCOOK and switch ‘ON’ button. Press The Saute' Button in front dashboard and wait for 30 secs for the inner cooking pot to get heated up.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, fresh beans, green peas and boil in three cups of salted water till three-fourth done. Drain and refresh under running water. Keep aside. Press cancel.
- Clean the pot and press sauté mode. Add oil to the inner cooking pot and let it heat a bit. Deep fry the sliced onions until golden brown. Press cancel. Drain into an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Press sauté mode. Add some more oil to the existing pot. Then add caraway seeds, cumin seeds and allow it to splutter.
- Add tomatoes, carrot, cauliflower, fresh beans, green peas, salt and sauté until the veggies turn soft. Press cancel.
- Take a handi, arrange alternate layers of cooked vegetables and rice. Sprinkle saffron dissolved in kewra water, garam masala powder, coriander leaves, mint leaves, golden fried sliced onions, paste mixture, butter in between the layers and on top.
- Make sure that you end with the rice layer topped with saffron and spices.
- Press sauté mode. Place the handi inside the inner cooking pot and cook for few mins. Once done switch to ‘keep warm or off’ mode.
- Handi Biryani is ready to serve with Raitha.
Recipes you may Like?