(1 CUP = 240ML)
- urad dal - 1 cup
- salt - 1 teaspoon
- Ice cold water
- Oil to spray
- pepper corn - ¼ to ½ teaspoon
- green chilies - 2 to 3 chopped
- onions - 4 tablespoon chopped
- curry leaves - 1 sprig chopped
- cumin seeds - ½ teaspoon
- ginger - 1 teaspoon fine grated
Steps to make batter:
- Wash dal several times and soak in lot of water for at least 4 to 5 hrs.
- Drain the water completely and transfer the dal to a mixer grinder jar. If you have a wet grinder, you can use it.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons water. Next add salt and start grinding
- Next scrape off the sides and then grind again. Whenever needed sprinkle only as much as 1 ½ tsps. Ice cold water evenly.
- Again, continue to grind to a coarse thick batter. Ensure your grinder does not become hot.
- Sprinkle water. Grind again till the batter looks fluffy and white.
- Transfer this to a bowl. Aerate the batter by beating it with your hand in a clockwise direction for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Test the batter if it is aerated well. Drop a small batter ball in bowl full of water.
- The ball has to float meaning it is light. This is needed to get fluffy medu vada.
- If the batter doesn't float well, means either the batter is runny or is not aerated well.
- If the batter is in right consistency still it is not floating well. Then beat the batter once more.
- Add crushed pepper, cumin, ginger, curry leaves, green chillies and onions. Mix everything well.
Steps to make Vada:
- Dip your fingers in water or oil to moisten your fingers. Water should not be dripping.
- Take small portions of batter. Shape to a ball, slightly flatten with thumb.
- Dip the thumb in water, again no dripping water. Make a hole in the center.
- Place the Fryo on top of the Robocook and set the steam rack inside the cooking pot.
- Place the Fryo on top of the robocook and connect the power cord. (Do no connect the robocook). Press the ‘POWER’ button & set the temperature to 195⁰. Press 2 minutes timer to preheat the pot. Now press “PLAY” button & wait for 2mins.
- Meanwhile drop the meduvada in aluminium foil paper and place it in the basket. After the preheat, place the basket in steam rack.
- Place the Robocook Fryo on top and move down the handle to start. Now set the temperature at 195⁰C along with 5-8 min timer and press “PLAY” button.
- Built with Air Blast Technology the Robocook Fryo optimizes the energy usage and starts its ultra-fast cooking.
- Pause the Fryo at 4-5 mins, now flip the meduvada with tongs. Once done resume the timer using “play” button and wait for another 4-5 minutes.
- Once the countdown comes down and cooking is completed it stops with 3 Beep sound. Pull the handle and remove the Fryo lid from the Robocook.
- Serve the meduvada with chutney or sambar
Recipes you may Like?